Valley of Words 3rd Edition (14 – 16 November 2019)
Valley of Words (VoW) is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about the information we hold about you.
Our policy explains how we collect and use the information we collect from you directly and from third parties. The policy is reviewed from time to time so please check back for any changes.
Information we collect
Information you give us
When you register on our website to receive regular information, to attend our events or make a donation, we store the personal information you give us such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number. We will also store a record of your attendance and donations.
Information about your interactions with us
When we send you a postal mailing we keep a record of this, and in the case of emails we keep a record of which ones you have opened and which links you have clicked on.
Information from third parties
We may receive information about you from our event registration partners, particularly concerning whether you want to receive information from us about future events. We may also receive information on which events you have attended. This helps us in planning our programmes for the future.
VoW may from time to time have a data sharing agreement with our registration partners. We each require that the other party complies with data protection law and that the data is only used for the agreed purpose.
What we do with your personal data
We use the data that we have stored about you such as which events you have attended in the past, as well as any preferences you may have told us about to communicate with you. We use our legitimate organisational interest as the legal basis for communications by post and email.
- You can opt out of receiving further information by contacting us. If you do not opt out, you will have the option to unsubscribe in every email that we send you, or you can opt out by using the contact details at the end of this policy.
- In the case of postal mailings you may object to receiving these by using the contact details at the end of this policy or the contact details provided in the mailing.
- If you join one of our member schemes we may need to contact you by email or telephone to let you know that your subscription has expired or in case of problems with your payment.
We may also analyse data we hold about you to ensure that the content and timing
Sharing information with third parties
We only share information with third parties in specific circumstances.
- If you attend one of our events we share your personal information with our emailing list software partner, Mail Chimp, to ensure that you receive the emails you have subscribed to.
- We will disclose your personal information as necessary to other service providers who process data on our behalf and on our instructions – such as the mailing house responsible for dispatching programmes by post.
In these cases we require that these third parties comply strictly with our instructions and with data protection laws, for example around security of personal data.
- Where we are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Your rights to your personal information
You have a right to ask for a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in this data corrected. You have the right to have your personal information deleted from any system we use to hold your data.
Contact details and further information