PFC-VoW Book Awards 2022
PFC-VoW Book Awards 2022
Valley of Words (VoW), a not-for-profit initiative of the Valley of Words Foundation Trust based in Dehradun, is marked its fifth edition in a new Pan-Indian ‘phygital’ format across 5 weekends and 5 cities designed to overcome the obstacles created by COVID 19.
This year we began the Festival on the 9th & 10th of October at New Delhi for the Military History and Strategy Vertical; followed by Vadodara for Hindi Fiction and Non-Fiction on the 23rd & 24th of October; then Kolkata for English Fiction and Non-Fiction on the 6th & 7th of November; Hyderabad from 13th -14th of November for Young Adult Literature and Translation; and the final segment in Dehradun concluded with Children’s Literature and Picturebooks (our new Award Category this year), Anuvaad, and the History of Science from the 19th to 21st of November.
This year, more than ever, we took the love of literature far beyond our own valley into every corner of the country.
The Power Finance Corporation and Valley of Words have joined hands again to acknowledge and platform the best of Indian literature, written in both English and Hindi, from the previous calendar year through the PFC-VoW Book Awards in eight categories – including the new category of Children’s Writings and Picture-books (bilingual) instituted from 2020 onwards.
The Longlist of 10 books is decided by eminent Juries, and then brought down to the 5 shortlisted titles around which are designed the English Literature and Hindi Sahitya verticals of the Festival. We are committed to supporting diversity and
inclusion, and to facilitating conversations around Indian languages and literature – especially in translation. Increasingly, we also hope to engage with Indian writings for the young adults and children who will be the future of our country.
The Winners of the 2021 PFC-VoW Book Awards were Lavanya Lakshminarayan, Ishtiaq Ahmed, Ranjita Biswas (for Arupa Patangia Kalita), Alka Saraogi, Rajeev Sharma, Padmaja Ghorpade (for Sharankumar Limbale), Menaka Raman, and Paro Anand.
Nominations are invited for the next edition of the PFC-VoW Book Awards starting in January 2022
1. Submissions are accepted from all established and registered publishing houses having offices within the territorial jurisdiction of India. There is no limitation on the number of submissions in each category. In other words, a publisher may send books by multiple authors across categories.
2. Individual nominations are accepted when submitted with due regard for the processes outlined on the Valley of Words website, including registration and other pertinent steps.
3. Nominations are accepted in the following categories:
1. English Fiction
2. English Non-Fiction
3. Translations from Indian Languages to English
4. Hindi Fiction
5. Hindi Non-Fiction
6. Translations from Indian Languages to Hindi
7. Writings for Young Adults – Bilingual; Hindi & English (11-16 years)
8. Writings / Picture-books for Children – Bilingual; Hindi & English (5-10 years)
4. Five identical hard copies of each book must be submitted by India
Speed Post or Courier by the Publisher / Individual Applicant along with the nomination form (which can be accessed at Nominate a Book – Valley of Words) clearly stating the category the book(s) submitted are to be adjudicated in. After the adjudication process, the books will be shared through the ‘VoW Book Shelf’ which is placed in various cafes in Dehradun and Mussoorie from where readers can borrow books. The books are also maintained in the VoW Café’s own Library space, which is entirely open-access to all.
Select books are also donated to other libraries in the country to ensure the widest possible reach of the nominated literature.
5. Eligible titles must have been published in print during the previous calendar year (2022). Each entry should be the author’s original work or an authorised translation into Hindi or English. Books will be received in good faith, and plagiarism checks should be done by the publisher before submitting a book or multiple books. The VoW Foundation Trust will not be responsible for any plagiarism issues which come to light at any point of time, even after the Awards have been given.
6. The following publications are not eligible for submission:
Academic Books and Theses, Edited Volumes, Anthologies or Books written by more than one author, Reference Books, Text Books, Guide Books, Educational Materials including books made of open access Study-Materials online, Manuals, Reprints and Television, Radio and Film Tie- ins/Trivia and ghost-written books.
7. All books entered must have a registered ISBN number or equivalent indicator recognised by international book repositories.
7. Hardbacks and paperbacks may be submitted in five copies as mentioned above. Soft copies of any book will NOT be accepted for adjudication.
8. All entries must be submitted in five (5) identical hard copies to:
Mr Bikram Singh
VoW Café Library Gallery
Near USHA, Sahastradhara Road,
(+91 94129 20447)
9. Entries must be submitted along with the nomination form. (Accessed through the website.) Books will be received till 23:59 hours on the 31st of March, 2022.
The VoW Foundation Trust reserves the right to extend the closing date of the competition.
10. Proof of posting a submission is not proof of receipt by the VoW Foundation Trust. The Trust will accept no responsibility for submissions that are delayed, misdirected or otherwise lost prior to receipt.
11. A panel of judges, including at least one member who is independent of PFC-VoW, will select a Longlist and Shortlist from all valid entries received in accordance with the evaluation criteria for good literature. Shortlisted entrants shall be sent notifications of their short-listing on or before 30th June 2022 and the shortlisted titles will be posted on the VoW website.
12. The PFC-VoW team reserves the right to modify the leadership team or to add therein if there are unavoidable circumstances. Events of the nature of the ‘Acts of God’ category may force PFC- VoW to alter its adjudication method/ team/ leadership structure.
13. A second panel of Judges, including at least one member who is independent of PFC-VoW, will select the 8 (eight) finalists from all valid shortlisted entries on or before 30th September 2022.
14. PFC-VoW Awards 2022 will invite its authors either physically or virtually to attend Valley of Words International Literature and Arts Festival in Dehradun in November 2022.
15. The organisers are not responsible for any reimbursements to any author or publisher who participates in the Valley of Words Festival or related events.
16. The winners of the PFC-VoW Book Awards 2022 will be announced at Valley of Words International Literature and Arts Festival 2022 and will be shared at www.valleyofwords.org after the actual Awards ceremony is over.
Payment of the individual prize of INR 1,00,000 each, along with a certificate and plaque will be presented to the Awardees during VoW 2022.
17. All shortlisted books will be reviewed/ featured in a special issue of The Book Review, closer to the festival, in 2022.
18. While PFC-VoW and the VoW Foundation Trust believe in ethical transparency, we also believe in the need for confidentiality and fairness in the process of adjudicating. No publisher or author will try to find out about the judges till after the actual physical awards of prizes in each category. Judges, authors and/or publishers found unethical will be liable to prosecution in Indian courts of law.
While certain criteria for good judgement may be published, the names of judges and their identities will not be disclosed before the end of the Awards ceremony at the Festival.
19. The judges’ decision is final and cannot be contested. No correspondence will be entertained by PFC-VoW and the VoW Foundation Trust with the authors or publishers in this regard.
When choosing the shortlisted books and the winners, the judges will select the entries which in their combined wisdom are the best in terms of set standards followed globally. Ethical practices will be strictly adhered to from the moment the nominated books are received.
20. The publisher must have the consent of the author to submit the title or titles to the PFC-VoW Awards 2022. In addition, the publisher must secure the consent of the author to participate in promotional activity, including publication of the author’s name and image, in connection with the PFC-VoW Book Awards 2022 on the reasonable request of PFC-VoW.
21. The PFC-VoW Book Awards 2022 are not open to employees of PFC or VoW or their family members, nor to anyone else connected with the aforementioned Awards.
22. Entries that do not comply with these terms and conditions shall not be considered for the competition. By submitting a title to the PFC-VoW Book Awards 2022, the publisher of the submitted title warrants and represents that it has complied with the protocol of the PFC-VOW Book Awards 2022, including the terms and conditions mentioned here.
23. The VoW Foundation Trust reserves the right to not award a prize in any category whatsoever without disclosing the reasons thereof.
24. Indian laws shall govern the PFC-VoW Book Awards 2022 and any dispute arising in this regard will be subject only to Indian court of law.
For further details or information, please write in to us at email@example.com
Come, join us as we celebrate the word – and beyond…