An Author’s Word: Dr. Ishtiaq Ahmed
1. If not an author, which other creative field would one find you in and why?
My earliest ambition was to become a singer and possibly a music-director. My esteemed father overruled such a career.
2. What does the written word mean to you?
The written word acquires an authority which oral accounts do not. All the religious scriptures are considered authoritative because of the ‘divine word’ becoming written down and preserved in its assumed authentic form down the centuries.
3.Your personal favourite five authors in any genre.
- Krishan Chander – short story and novelette
- Sahir Ludhianvi – poetry
- Dostoevsky – novel
- Tolstoy – novel
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – detective fiction
4. What is your favourite word, in any language, and how would you describe its meaning?
Never thought of it, honestly. Justice/Insaaf/Neyaaye, I suppose is the word which has inspired me most in my reflections and writings.
5. E-Book or physical book? What do you prefer and why?
The physical book definitely. I am simply used to it and find E-books something unreal.